Estate Share Sales


Ellis Bros can process the sale of shares held in the name of an Estate via its One-Off Share Sale facility. Note that the Estate and all the Executor/s must be domiciled in NZ.

Shares of the deceased must be re-registered into the name of the Estate before they can be sold. It should be noted that, in NZ, both its share registries (Computershare and Link Market Services) charge a $95-odd ‘noting fee’ before Estate shares are made available for sale on the NZX. Failure to pay these fees will delay settlement of funds upon any sale. Australian registries do not charge ‘noting fees’.

A. Instructions to sell Estate shares can only be given by (a) a lawyer acting on behalf of the Estate, or (b) all the Executor/s of the Estate.

The Executor/s must all provide valid certified photo identification AND certified ‘proof of NZ residential address’ documentation.

Photo ID should preferably be a signed passport. If that is not possible, a NZ drivers licence PLUS a NZ birth certificate can be acceptable. For all permitted ‘photo ID’ options, refer to Appendix One below.

The proof of address document can be a utilities bill, a rates bill, bank statement, tax notice or vehicle registration notification (see Appendix Two below for all options). The document cannot be older than 90 days.

Note that certification of photo ID and the ‘address’ documents must be within 30 days. Certification can be by a lawyer, Justice of the Peace, a police officer, or an Ellis Bros employee.

B. Information/documents to be provided re an Estate and its share investments:

  1. Full name of the Estate.
  2. Address and contact phone numbers.
  3. Contact email address.
  4. Estate’s IRD number (if available). If the Estate does not have an IRD number, please provide the personal IRD number of the deceased.
  5. Certified copy of Probate (if there is no probate, a copy of the Will AND the Death Certificate would suffice).
  6. Certified copy of a ‘proof of bank account’ document for the Estate (e.g. bank statement, deposit slip, or teller-verified bank chit). The document must have been issued within the past year. If the Estate does not have its own bank account, the funds can be transferred to a client funds trust account of the Estate’s legal representative (for which a certified, recent ‘proof of bank account’ document is required). 
  7. Shareholder, or CSN, number. Or, if they are Australian shares, the Securityholder Reference Number (SRN).
  8. For NZ shares, the four-digit FIN number (sometimes referred to as the Authorisation Code).

Proceeds of Estate share sales are transferred to the designated bank account two business days after the sale.

Brokerage rate for Estate Sales is 1% of the dollar-value of each parcel of shares (there is a minimum charge of $90 for NZ trades, and $A100 for Australian trades).

Forward all relevant information/documentation to

If you have any queries, either email us or phone 09 4867700.


Appendix ONE

All Executors must be provide an acceptable form of identification for themselves. These must be certified by either a lawyer, a Justice of the Peace, or an Ellis Bros employee within the past 30 days.

 Acceptable identification can be:

(A) One form of primary photo ID

  1. New Zealand Passport (signed)
  2. Firearms licence
  3. Overseas Passport (signed)

(Note we cannot accept ID that has expired)


  • One form of primary non-photo ID
  1. New Zealand full birth certificate
  2. Overseas birth certificate


One form of secondary photo ID

  1. NZ Drivers Licence
  2. NZ Defence Photo ID
  3. Police Photo ID
  4. 18+ car or Kiwi Access Card


  • A NZ drivers license (front and back)


One of:

  1. Credit Card statement issued by registered bank
  2. Bank statement issued by registered bank
  3. SuperGold Card
  4. NZ Defence Photo ID
  5. Police Photo ID
  6. Community Services Card


Appendix TWO

All Executors must provide a ‘proof of residential address’ document. These must be dated within the past 90 days.

Acceptable forms of address verification:

  • Utilities bill
  • Rates bill
  • Bank account statement
  • Government or Government Department document
  • Local Council notification/demand
  • IRD tax notice
  • Companies Office records
  • Electoral roll papers
  • Insurance policy document
  • Court document
  • Non-bank financial institution document
  • Rental tenancy agreement
  • Vehicle Registration notification.